About This Image
The two photographs are mounted back to back. Note the figure in the image of the Villa Albani. Anderson is known to have photographed both locations. Large sized prints. Villa Albani was built by Carlo Marchionni for Cardinal Alessandro Albani, nephew of Pope Clemens XI. Here the Cardinal gathered a celebrated collection of classical sculpture which was ordered by J. J. Winckelmann in 1765. Financial needs, ravages by Napoleon, upturns of life forced the Albani to sell their villa to the Chigi, who eventually sold it to the Torlonia (the most affluent family of 19th-century Rome) to whom the villa still belongs. The Villa Doria Pamphili is a 17th-century villa with what is today the largest landscaped public park in Rome. It is located in the quarter of Monteverde, on the Gianicolo (or the Roman Janiculum). Both are subjects that are somewhat scarce to find.
James Anderson was born at Blencarn, Cumberland, U.K., on March 11, 1813 with the name Isaac Atkinson.
He studied painting in Paris where he lived until 1837, specializing in watercolor views. In January 1838 he moved to Rome and with the pseudonym of William Nuget Dunbar he participated in annual exhibitions of the Society Amatory and the Belle's Arti students. There he changed his name to James Anderson. He married a Roman girl, Maria de Mutis, and they had four children together.
The 1845 register of the Caffé Greco has his signature and an address at Fuori Porta del Popolo N. 6, profession photographer. In the same register there is also the signature of the photographer Giacomo Caneva.
In the mid-1840s he became a professional calotype photographer. Later he used albumen on glass negatives, but he generally preferred wet collodion. James Anderson was almost certainly a frequenter of the Photographic Circle of the Caffé Greco and some of his images show the same interpretation of other members of the group. During his first photographic period, when he used calotypes, Anderson doesn't seem to have ever signed his works and his blind-stamp only started to appear around 1855. The attribution to James Anderson of his early work is given by the blind-stamp of Jos. Spithover who sold his prints or by the negative numbers that sometime appear on the photograph.
In November 1855 James Anderson photographed the moon through the great telescope of Merz near the observatory of the College Romano.
A number of his commercial catalogues detailing his work survive. The first currently known was published in 1857. His views are generally well executed and very well printed. His works were on sale from the bookseller Joseph Spithover, who manufactured albums of photographs selected by the customer. For many years Anderson was in direct competition with Robert MacPherson, who was also resident in Rome.
James Anderson participated in a number of international exhibitions, including the Universal Exhibition in Paris (1855), the exhibition of the Scottish Society of the Photo (1857) and the Universal Exhibition in London (1862).
Around 1870 he began to work with his young son Domenico (1854-1938) and together they learned to compete with the growing number of professional photographers in Rome.
James Anderson died February 27, 1877, and Domenico continued the studio and his father's work with notable success.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.
Medium Albumen prints from wet plate negative
Mount on original mount
Photo Date 1860s Print Date 1860s
Dimensions 10-1/2 x 15 in. (267 x 381 mm)
Photo Country Italy
Photographer Country United Kingdom (UK)